- This event has passed.
Hill Walk Djouce Mountain
Start Time: 10:15am
Distance / Duration: 11km /3.5 hrs (approx.) including breaks
Height / Ascent: Summit 725m; Total ascent approx. 425m
Meeting Point: Coillte Djouce Woods Lake Car Park Grid Ref:O 210 109 https://maps.app.goo.gl/
Walk Start Time: 10:30am
Further Info: This is an easy hill walk
Leaders Note: The walk is a gradual climb until the final climb of 125m to the summit. On a good day, the views from the summit and on the descent are spectacular.
Terrain – mostly forest or mountain tracks. The track on our way back down to re-join the Wicklow Way can, in bad weather, be mucky. Parts of the route are exposed so full hiking gear including poles is recommended.
Directions from Skerries: M50 – M11 –Exit Junction 8 Kilmacanogue/Roundwood. Take R755 Roundwood for approx. 2km. Take the right turn at the sign for Enniskerry – R760. After approx. 1.5km take a very sharp left turn – signposted Sallygap L1035. Yo
Please Text the leader by Fri 26th Nov if you intend to go on the walk. Please provide a mobile phone number for contact. For ease of communication and updates a WhatsApp group will be set up for this walk. If you do not wish to be included in this WhatsApp group, please let the leader know when you get in touch to book your place.
Covid-19 related: Walkers are advised that they will be asked to confirm that they have no Covid-19 like symptoms and agree to walk at their own risk. The organisers cannot accept any liability in the event of injury/Covid-19 infection.
2. CLOTHING AND GENERAL INFO:
- Please ensure that, at the very least, you have either hiking boots or walking shoes (no trainers) and depending on the weather forecast – multiple layers including a warm jacket/fleece, hat and gloves, waterproof jacket and trousers, a flask with a hot drink, sandwiches/snacks, a litre of water and a small rucksack. If you are unsure about your gear check with the leader a few days beforehand as anyone turning up with inadequate gear will not be permitted to walk. Some might find a walking pole to help on this hike.
- It is highly recommended that you do not wear any clothing made from denim, corduroy and cotton on the hike.
- The club is a supporter of the ‘Leave No Trace’ campaign so please ensure that you leave no litter (of any sort) on the hike route.
- Never go ahead of the Leader without being sure of the way and let the leader know if you are leaving the walk early.
3. ONE FROM THE HILLS
Skerries Walking Club are happy to join in on Mountaineering Ireland’s One from The Hills Campaign, where each walker picks up and removes 1 piece of litter and disposes of it correctly at home. We hope you can join us and get involved. More details on this campaign here.