- This event has passed.
Ramble Carlingford Greenway POSTPONED!
16km EASY RAMBLE
Meeting Point: Skerries Point Eurospar (Máire Jones) or Carlingford public car park at the visitor centre (Shona Geraghty), google map link below.
Time: Skerries – Meet 08:20am, Depart 08:30am or meet Carlingford – 09:40am
Walk Starting Point: Carlingford visitor centre car park
Walk Starting Time: 9:50am
Route: Carlingford to Omeath and return
Duration: 3.5 hours (including 30 min lunch break at the picnic area in Omeath.
Please text Shona Geraghty by Friday 27 March, 7pm if you intend going on the walk with your (1) name and (2) phone number and (3) whether you will meet up in Skerries or Carlingford.
An ideal 16km ramble for club members who would like to increase their distance stamina and also for experience walkers who would like an enjoyable 16km ramble.
This is a lovely walk that gives breathtaking views along Carlingford Lough. We will start in Carlingford and walk 1.4km to the start of the greenway at the Marina. We will see Warrenpoint and Rostrevor across on the northern shoreline, the mountains of Mourne in Co Down and Slieve Foy in the Cooley mountains. We will walk along the Greenway with plenty of sheep grazing, through old railway level crossings and a few bridges and the beautifully kept shrine to St Jude with an abundance of flowers and benches. We will come across many small waterfalls, brooks and rivers. A small section of the Greenway close to Omeath is on the roadside with a footpath. Once we stop in Omeath for a break we will return to the Greenway back to Carlingford.
- Google maps link to Carlingford car park HERE
- Trekking shoes, runners/trainers or comfortable walking shoes are ideal for this ramble. Layers and gloves, hat and scarf. Small rucksack for your snacks and personal belongings.
2) It is highly recommended that you do not wear any clothing made from denim, corduroy or cotton on the hike.
3) The club is a supporter of the ‘Leave No Trace’ campaign so please ensure that you leave no litter (of any sort) on the hike route.
4) If carpooling and club members wish to pay the driver, the sum of €5 is acceptable. This, however, is not compulsory.