Ramble Clontarf/ Bull Island
Clontarf Seafront to Bull Island and return – 9.5km EASY RAMBLE
Meeting Point: Skerries Point Eurospar (self-arrange carpool) or Clontarf seafront public car park opposite the Yacht Bar and Restaurant (google map link below). For public transport, see details further below. No leader at Skerries, the leader will meet at Clontarf.
Time: Skerries – Meet 9:00am, Depart 09:05am or Clontarf – Meet 9:45am.
Walk Starting Point: Clontarf seafront public car park (opposite the Yacht Bar)
Walk Starting Time: 9:50am
Route: Clontarf seafront, over the wooden bridge, on to Bull Wall and walk to Our Lady, Star of the Sea statue, returning and stopping at Happy Out café for a coffee and back to Clontarf car park.
Duration: 2.5 hours (including 30 min coffee stop at the Happy Out café on Bull Wall)
Please text Shona Geraghty by Friday 14 February if you intend going on the walk and indicating whether you will meet up in Skerries or Clontarf seafront car park. If you are taking public transport please contact Shona and she will let you know where the starting point is (11 min direct walk from Clontarf Dart Station).
This is a lovely walk with stunning views of Wicklow and Howth, in fine weather once we get on to Bull Wall. We will walk from Clontarf seafront car park along the promenade that was reclaimed from the sea in the 1920s. The promenade is always busy with joggers, runners, dog walking and cycling. We will pass the old Clontarf baths (and newly opened restaurant), continue along the promenade and walk over the wooden bridge built in 1819 and down Bull Wall as far as the sea to Our Lady, Star of the Sea statue. When the sun goes down her halo illuminates at night and is made of 12 stars donated by Waterford Glass. We will then return and stop at the famous Happy Out Café on the Bull Wall for a coffee and then continue back to the car park.
Note: There can be a chilly breeze on this walk, please make sure that you have plenty of layers, gloves, hat and scarf.
- Google maps link to Clontarf seafront car park HERE
- Total walk time 2.5 hours (including coffee stop).
1) Trekking shoes, runners/trainers or comfortable walking shoes are ideal for this ramble. Layers and gloves, hat and scarf. Small rucksack for your personal belongings.
2) It is highly recommended that you do not wear any clothing made from DENIM/CORDUROY/COTTON on the hike.
3) The club is a supporter of the ‘Leave No Trace’ campaign so please ensure that you leave no litter (of any sort) on the hike route.
4) If club members wish to pay the driver, the sum of €5 is acceptable. This, however, is not compulsory.
08:57 Depart train from Skerries, change at Howth Junction and Donaghmede, Dart at 09:22 to Clontarf Dart Station. 09:35 arrive Clontarf Dart Station
12:46 Depart Clontarf Dart Station, change at Howth Junction and Donaghmede, Commuter at 1pm. 13:24 arrive Skerries
Click on +Google Maps in Venue Section below for Walk Start